Friday, June 16, 2006

My Chocolate/Peanut Butter Milk Shake Brings All the Boys to the Yard

Last night after Guys'/Girls' Groups (of the college ministry that we are a part of) Abbey and I went to the Drake Diner with a few of the guys from the ministry. The Drake Diner is a place that Abbey and I discovered, only recently, to be high on our individual lists of choice restaurants. It's odd really, as the Drake Diner is nothing special. It is in a less than desirable neighborhood (by most "West-side" standards... sorry guys, it's true, but we live here too). But one thing that the Drake Diner does have going for it is the chocolate/peanut butter milk shake. It was undoubtedly the ice cream treat of choice last night at our table, everyone had one except for Travis...he had the banana split (no pineapple).

As we continue to prepare for the move to the girls' dorm, I keep catching myself appreciating things more, like last night, for instance. Sure, I loved the company, those guys are awesome. But that's obvious, of course I will miss them greatly. But I also found myself appreciating a simple chocolate/peanut butter milk shake from the Drake Diner. I appreciated it even more so today as I attempted to make one for myself at home. It was a disaster. My peanut butter: ice cream: milk ratios were way off. What I ended up with was really cold chocolate milk with frothy peanut butter flavored scum floating on the top.

Dang... I'll miss the Drake Diner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Drake Diner and wish I could have been there last night and tried the shake. You'll be happy to know that Nacho Libre was a no-go.

Ryan Tow said...

Speaking as someone who worked at an ice cream shop . . .here's what you gots to do ...

Start your blender up with some chocolate syrup, about 1/4 cup of milk, get that going. With the blender going, drop some peanut butter in a little at a time . .you're making a peanut butter emulsion.

Then, once you have the trusty sauce workin out, add your vanilla ice cream.

I concur, though. The drake diner (and north end) are things I miss being close to out here in the burbs.

Brandon Barker said...

You have to try the meatloaf sandwich, and chili, and chocolate banana malt, and...

Ryan Tow said...

No discussion of the Drake Diner is really complete without mention of what may very well be the greatest onion rings in the world.

Of course, IBS and onion rings aren't good friends .. .so you know how that goes.