Saturday, June 24, 2006

i've got a 100% return rate on my missionaries


Last night we returned from our week long mission-adventure to Parmelee, SD. It was one of the hardest, yet one of the best trips I have ever been on. I return a changed man.

I left on this trip less than enthused. Due to two past experiences at Parmelee, I admit that I was struggling to find love in my heart for this place and these people. I perceived the children to be rude, disrespectful, and vulgar.

Well, I was way wrong about the children of Parmelee. They weren't rude, disrespectful, and vulgar...they were rude, disrespectful, vulgar, and VIOLENT... and I fell in love. This was yet another example of answered prayer. I spent a fair amount of time in prayer leading up to this trip and one of the things that I continually prayed for was that God might break my heart for Parmelee.

And He came through. The children's actions and words broke my heart. The deplorable living conditions broke my heart. The alcohol abuse and prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) broke my heart. The infiltration of gangs, drugs, and violence (which gangs bring to a culture) broke my heart. The sexual/physical abuse rates among Native American children broke my heart. And much more...

I'm not sure where I go from here. I will continue conversing with Jake about this. I plan on doing some research on the underlying issues involved in the condition of America's native polulation. And I will pray.

Shaloam.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Brandon and Abbey, Your comments on my blog have been such a source of conversation for me in Haiti. I can't even tell you how much it is feeding me. I yearn for Christian fellowship, and I'm surprised how much God can use a silly blog to reach me! But, there is nothing silly about Him using other Christians to challenge their brothers adn sisters. Wow. I love what you said about the Rez.(Haha). I was thinking about you guys the entire week. God is so amazing that He can work in so many different places at the same time. I am so humbled just thinking about it. You two are so amazing. I love you both.

-Megan