Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Vocabulary, Quantitative Comparison, and Analytical Writing... Oh My!

Per admittance to Wheaton's graduate program, I am required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE for short). As I began studying the Antonym section in my Barron's "How to Prepare for the GRE" , I came to the stark realization that my vocabulary is not where it ought to be for this exam. I will give an example question that I encountered below, but needless to say, I spent about an hour and a half today listening to The Appleseed Cast and doing a little light reading by Merriam-Webster. This should be fun. No seriously, it was really fun. Weird, huh?

Directions -- In the following antonym question, a word printed in capital letters precedes five lettered words or phrases. From these five lettered words or phrases, pick the one most nearly opposite in meaning to the capitalized word. Because some of the questions require you to distinguish fine shades of meaning, be sure to consider all the choices before deciding which one is best.

APOTHEOSIS:
(A) departure from tradition
(B) impatience with stupidity
(C) demotion from glory
(D) surrender to impulse
(E) cause for grief

Go ahead give it a shot, see how you do. Believe it or not, I got this one right.

*brandon

3 comments:

Travis said...

No idea. Really. I'll guess D. I came home today (due to moving stuff at work I drove the truck) to find that my dad had put hubcaps on the Camry. It was a sad moment for me. Now I have to think of something else to make it distinguishable.

Noah Braymen said...

Yeah, I'd say "D" too.

Demotion from glory could be it too...depending on your definition of glory. I'm assuming glory more as to be made much of in the the world's eyes instead of glory assigned by God to either Himself or to men and in that sense demotion would only be in the secret knowledge of God. And Scripture teaches that we cannot lose salvation if we really have received it.

So, yeah, "D".

In Christ
Noah

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was going to take a guess at the answer, but how do you compete with that strong intellectual answer left by Noah. I'm going to go on just doing what I do best, saying "like" and joking around with Jr. High students. Reading this entry, in particular, really made me miss you, Brandon. How am I supposed to learn things like this without you around. I hope you post the answer soon, I'm really on pins and needles over here, you know me, I won't rest until the answer is found! I'm so dorky. I love you guys, tell Abbey "Hi" for me :)