Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Budget???

What my wife has referred to as a "budget" is but a mere euphemism for the harsh reality that now faces me. What she has labeled a "budget" might more aptly be labeled a "spending freeze." You see, dear brothers and sisters, I have not eaten "out" in what is now somewhere close to a week and a half. Being a bourgeois epicurean, I take great delight in the finer things that one, of my standing, can afford (i.e. pizza, thai food, chipotle, popeye's, etc...). In my entire life, I have never (that I can recall or venture to estimate) gone this long without indulging my palate.

In my studies I can't help but relate my own struggle with that of a late-medieval serf (brandon) to his Lady (abbey). The time would be drawing nigh to a Peasants' Rebellion of my own, had I not learned that the rebellion was ruthlessly squelched by the nobility, reinstating their hold over their lessers. If history wasn't so prone to repeating itself, I might take a stand against my lording Lady and get myself a chicken wing or some Tom Yum, but alas I will bow to her strength and might.

2 comments:

Ryan Tow said...

You know . . . it was late September, and my wife and I were sitting at Java G's on a date, and we got to talking about our finances. She challenged me to go a month without eating out.

We did it. Mostly. I got to cheat halfway through the month when I travelled on business, but we made it.

Now if only I could get that habit to hold.

I feel your pain.

Travis said...

Rise up proletariat!! Actually, I wish that I could learn that lesson, but I either forget to make my lunch in the morning or make it in the evening and forget it in the morning. My lunch-making-taking failures drive me straight into the arms of all sorts of expensive vendors. Maybe I'll just stop eating. We'll see how that goes. You could do it too, a hunger strike! Yes!